Sunday 31 March 2013

L'Oreal Mousse Absolue: The First Reusable Hair Colour

I've dyed my hair at home for years, and over the past couple of years, I've become quite a big fan of foam colourants, so I was quite excited to see L'Oreal have launched the first reusable permanent foam hair colour. I've been using John Frieda's Precision Foam Colour for a while now and while I'm happy with the results I get, it pains me when I sport out a tenner for a dye for root touch ups and half of the bottle goes in the bin. 


Unlike regular dyes and foams that you mix up yourself, Mousse Absolue comes packaged in a nifty, gold bottle which contains two chambers (one for the colour and one for the developer). The two formulas are mixed as you dispense using the built in precision diffuser and the foam/mousse is applied like a regular dye. The separate chambers obviously mean the dye can be kept unmixed and therefore reused for multiple applications.

According to L'oreal, there's enough product in one pack to do an all over application and 1 root touch up on mid-length hair, 2 all over applications on short hair, and 1 complete application on long hair. So I suppose you might be able to squeeze a few applications out of one pack if you're literally using the mousse for roots, which sounds pretty good to me! 

12 of the 14 available shades

The mousse is available in 14 different shades grouped into blondes, browns and reds, and is available now from Boots and Superdrug at a special introductory price of £8.99. I have a bottle of John Frieda to use on my roots this time, but I think I might give Mousse Absolue a go next time my roots are in need of a touch up.

14 comments:

  1. Awesome review. I think the best thing about it is you can use it multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I tried this it was great. The second time - just on the roots - it didn't work: it didn't colour the grey at all. I'll give it another go, leaving it on longer next time, and report back. Would be interested to know what others think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame it didn't work second time around. I've actually spotted a couple of reviews since I posted this and it seems like others have had a few issues with it as well. Someone mentioned that it's a bit thicker than regular foam dyes and more difficult to apply and wash out, and someone else mentioned that it smells quite a lot stronger than other colourants?

      Please do report back if you give it another go. I'm still very tempted to give it a try despite the negative comments I've read on it, so interested to know if it works for you second time around.

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem. It did not cover my gray the second time I tried to use it. I would not buy this product again.

      Delete
  3. Ive also been home dying my hair for years, used this new one yesterday, it hasnt worked at all, and left my hair as if i had used cooking oil on it, i have washed it twice since but still not normal.
    Gutted as this would of been so helpfull for me to reuse on roots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just dyed my light brown hair with 730 sun-kissed blonde and it's made my hair a medium chestnut brown :( It's dyed it much much darker than my original shade! Not happy one bit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't do anything for me the first time. I wondered why there was no colour in the water when I rinsed it. Did nothing. Hair was awful- greasy and lank - had to wash it again that night. Tried it again ann was pleased to see colour in the rinse, but agree with previous lady - hair felt like it had cooking oil on it.Horrible.
    Will go back to good old John Freida.
    Expensive in the end...........

    ReplyDelete
  6. tried this for the first time in between salon appointments trying to save money it cost 11.99, was easy to use, sat for the 30 mins waiting to see something happening - used extra light blonde - have light brown hair roots with some grey, nothing happened, so applied some more and waited a bit longer - still no change, rinsed it out, the conditioner is very good, but still have my dark roots - so disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It didnt cover my grey roots at all, most disappointed after paying 12.99 for i

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same for me. Absolute waste of time and money. Used the medium brown shade and nothing happened. The mousse was still white after 30 min. Rinsed it and didn't colour my hair at all. All grey roots visible. Have been colouring my hair for years and this is the worst product I have used and the most expensive. An absolute rip-off. Really disappointed. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just used this for the first time. This dye is more expensive than my regular one.....it is hard to wash out, it left my hair feeling dry and brittle and didn't cover my grey. I am very disappointed in it and will never purchase it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had the same problem with the second application, though I loved the first. I think the problem may be that it doesn't get mixed well (though I tried to follow the instructions). You have to shake it vigorously before and during application. Maybe the actual "dye" part gets used up first if you don't keep it shaken, so there is less available for the second application?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tried it, but the scent was so strong that my eyes were watering. Also, I stayed within my normal shade, but my hair had a green tint to it when I finished, like I had been in chlorine. None of my normal habits changed and I used the equivalent shade as normal. I had to use a darker temporary dye to cover the green. Definitely do not recommend. I called the manufacturer and they offered me two coupons(for my length), but I'm not using it again. I asked them if they would cover the cost for me to see a professional to fix the green and they stated that they would not. They just read me a script on how to use a temporary dye(which I already knew).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just tried this product after spending more on it than my usual home color, and I am so disappointed. It did absolutely nothing. I followed the directions to a "T" and nothing. My grays are still gray!!! Again, so very disappointed and will not be purchasing this again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I really appreciate and read each and every one of them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...